This program is under revision and not currently accepting students.
Occupational Title: Health Care Interpreter
Liston Campus, Providence only
The Health Care Interpreter certificate program is a two-semester program that prepares an assistant-level practitioner for the healthcare community. These individuals are prepared to provide high quality and skilled interpreting services in a variety of healthcare facilities; acute care, long-term care and community health care agencies. The program includes a total of 16 credits for three distinct courses. Students gain an understanding of the critical role that healthcare interpreters fulfill within the healthcare team through theory presented in the classroom, simulated clinical experiences, as well as practice experience in the selected healthcare settings.
Note: Many courses require prerequisites, corequisites and/or testing. See course descriptions for details.
See important general policies in the beginning of this section on the performance-based Health Sciences application process, academic progress, advanced placement, background check, CPR certification, health insurance, health records, reinstatement, transportation, uniforms and equipment.
Minimum Requirements to Apply to the Health Care Interpreter Certificate Program
- CCRI application – Complete and submit a CCRI Application for Enrollment. General Studies should be the first choice; INTC should be the second choice.
- High school transcript – An official copy of a high school or GED transcript, including date of graduation, must be provided. If the applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, the high school transcript may be waived; a college transcript must indicate completion and degree awarded.
- Placement testing – Must earn English placement test results (ACCUPLACER) issued by CCRI’s Department of Advising and Counseling:
- Reading comprehension test must show competency of 80 or above or students must complete Critical Reading for College Success (ENGL 0890) with a grade of “B-” or better.
- Readiness to take College Writing (ENGL 1005) or higher or the applicant must have completed Basics of Composition (ENGL 0500) with a "C" or higher or Compensatory Writing Skills (ENGL 0250) with a "B-" or higher or Composition I for Speakers of English as a Second Language (ENGL 1300) with a “C” or higher.
- Completion of the Versant Oral Proficiency Test in Spanish with a minimum score of 76 (test available at Knight Campus only). Requirements 1, 2 and 3 above must be completed before taking the Oral Proficiency Test in Spanish.
- Health Sciences application – Complete and submit a performance-based Health Sciences application including a preadmission degree evaluation.
- Background Check – Students are required to submit a background check when directed by Enrollment Services. Results of BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigation) check may prevent admission due to clinical agencies’ requirements.
- Important: Submission of a performance-based Health Sciences application does not guarantee acceptance to the program. At the time of admission, the student must meet the current admission requirements. Students declining acceptance into the program must resubmit a performance-based Health Sciences application and meet the current admission requirements.
- Student must successfully complete all courses in the Health Care Interpreter program to be certificate eligible.
- Student must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher throughout the program to be certificate eligible.
- Students must have required immunizations completed before any field work.
- Course sequence: Medical Terminology for Rehabilitative Health (RHAB 1010) and Health Care Interpreter I (INTC 1300), both with a grade of “C” or better is required for progression to Interpreting in Health Care II (INTC 1310).
Note: Students must be accepted into the program before taking major requirements.
|RHAB 1010||Medical Terminology for Rehabilitative Health||1|
|INTC 1300||Health Care Interpreter I||7|
|INTC 1310||Interpreting in Health Care II||8|